Each year over 400 families need to stay at a Ronald McDonald House Charities® (RMHC®) New Zealand over Christmas while their child is in a hospital away from home. These families are away from their support network of family and friends and often don’t have time to think about buying Christmas presents.
Supporting RMHC New Zealand with a Little Ray of Giving will bring the magic of Christmas to the families staying at a Ronald McDonald House this holiday season.
Read below for gift ideas
The following things are good to keep in mind:
- The families will need to travel home after their stay at the House (often by plane), so small gifts that are easy to pack are the best.
- Kids aren’t the only ones that deserve Christmas presents! Gifts for babies, teenagers, mum’s and dad’s are also greatly needed!
- Vouchers are great for any age group and are really easy to take home e.g. iTunes vouchers, beauty vouchers, food vouchers, petrol vouchers.
- Room sponsorship is also available. For a $500 Christmas donation you can hang a wreath in a Ronald McDonald House on behalf of yourself or your business.
Gifts to Avoid
Gifts that are too messy, too large or dangerous for young children are good to avoid such as;
- Paints, large crayons and play-dough
- Toy guns or bow and arrows
- Toys with very small parts
- Large gifts